Government PE & Sport Funding
The government has provided additional funding to improve provision of physical education (PE) and sport in primary schools. This funding - provided jointly by the Departments for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport is ring-fenced and therefore can only be spent on provision of PE and sport in schools.
Sports Grant 2017-2018
This year, Puriton Primary has been allocated a Sports Grant of £17900. This funding (with £960 carried forward from last year) has to be spent effectively and to improve the quality and breadth of PE and sport provision, including increasing participation in PE and sport so that all pupils develop healthy lifestyles and reach the performance levels they are capable of. We plan to use this funding:
- To increase the breadth and quality of the PE curriculum in all classes
- To develop pupils’ skills, attitudes and behaviour towards learning in PE
- To increase participation in competitive school sport, both within school and between schools
- To promote pupils’ personal health and well-being
- To increase the opportunities of all pupils during lunch, play and after school
For example, we will be:
- Developing a Fitness Trail in the school grounds to encourage active play
- Promoting cycling through proficiency training, grass track events and improved cycle facilities
- Employing Specialist PE Coaches to work alongside teachers in lessons to increase their subject knowledge and confidence in specific areas of PE, whilst delivering high quality PE lessons to children.
- Supporting the costs of transport to/from inter-school events and swimming etc
- Purchasing quality PE equipment for lunchtime and after school sports clubs.
Click here for details of our planned spend in 2017-18.
Sports Grant 2016-2017
Last year, our school received a Sports Grant of £8715. A report on the impact of this funding can be accessed here.
The Sports Grant cannot be used to pay for swimming lessons. Swimming is part of our PE/Sports curriculum; click here to see a brief report on swimming.